As usual the actual route taken is marked in blue, and was done anticlockwise from the blue flag in Little Bredy.
Bellamont House Gothic Revival Lodge
Some striking Longhorn cattle.
The assault on the hill.
Long Bredy Church
An attractive house lurking behind trees
The lintel has 'WL 1799' carved on it - perhaps a memorial to someone.
A farm house in Litton Cheney
Wait for me ....!
Knoll Plantation on the hill top
The picturesque Chapel in the Wood
The 'Chapel in the Wood' dates from around 1245 and was an abbey inhabited by a few monks. After the Dissolution the community was abandoned and the chapel in the wood faded into obscurity until new owners bought property nearby - Sir David and Lady Olga Milne-Watson, who fell in love with the ruined chapel. They employed workmen to conserve what remained of the ruin and added an altar and cross to the site. Both the Milne-Watsons are buried here and the occasional wedding blessing or baptism still takes place at this peaceful spot.
Archie in the archway!
Lots of eating going on!
The weather has now improved and it is quite warm
'...under an English heaven' - Rupert Brooke
An interestingly weathered gate post
The stop for drinks at the Grey Mare and Her Colts
The Grey Mare and her Colts is a Neolithic chambered long barrow that stands at a height of 200 metres above sea level around 3 miles north of Chesil Beach.
It reads 'Up the Cherries!'
Looking down towards Foxholes farm with Little Bredy in the distance
At the bottom of the hill lies Little Bredy cricket pavilion
Bridehead House in its beautiful setting
The manor of Brydian was owned by Cerne Abbey from 987 until the Dissolution. A manor house was built on the present site by Sir Robert Mellor in 1600, but was changed out of recognition in the 19th century, mostly by Christchurch architect Benjamin Ferrey. His client was Robert Williams of the bank, Williams Deacon & Co, and the Williams family still owns Bridehead.